Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Karen[_11_] Karen[_11_] is offline

Default Recipe: tomato sauce from scratch

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 20:06:41 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, Todd
> wrote:

>On 10/22/2013 06:44 PM, Todd wrote:
>> On 10/10/2013 06:24 PM, Todd wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> You guys are a blessing and have created a
>>> monster. :-)
>>>
>>> I figured out how to make tomato sauce (which
>>> I call spaghetti sauce) from scratch. As low
>>> bad stuff (carbs) as a tomato sauce can get.
>>>
>>> I have never tasted tomato sauce this good! YUM!
>>> T2 is not a curse!
>>>
>>> Okay. The secret is to start out with tomatoes
>>> with a great flavor. (Store bought sauce makes up
>>> for this by adding sugar.)
>>>
>>> And, the garlic is to add a "buttery" taste. If
>>> you can taste strong garlic, you used to much.
>>> (No cracks from the peanut gallery, unless they
>>> are funny.)
>>>
>>> Heat up a stainless steel saute pan. Medium high
>>> (hot!). You want the pan hot before tossing in
>>> the tomatoes.
>>>
>>> Chop up 5 giant (5") organic heirloom tomatoes. Do not
>>> discard the juice.
>>>
>>> Toss about a tomato's worth into the "hot" pan. Wait till
>>> you get some browning. This adds flavor. (Don't
>>> worry about messing up your stainless steel pan, the
>>> acid in the tomatoes makes it self cleaning.)
>>> Scrape and stir in the browning with a spatula.
>>>
>>> Add the remaining tomatoes. Drizzle with out 3 Tablespoons
>>> of Olive Oil. Don't add anything thing else at this
>>> point. There is a chemical reaction between the tomatoes
>>> and the olive oil that needs to take place.
>>>
>>> Stir every five minutes with a spatula, scrapping the
>>> bottom of the pan. Takes about 30 minutes. You are
>>> waiting for the tomatoes to break down. Until you get
>>> there, you will just have chunks of cooked tomato.
>>>
>>> What you are now waiting for is the tomatoes to break down
>>> into a paste.
>>>
>>> While your are boiling down the tomatoes to a paste,
>>> all on the same plate (I use a paper plate),
>>> --> chop up 1/2" slab of organic onion
>>> --> slice up two cloves of garlic (not 2 bulbs!)
>>> --> 1 flat tsp of organic dried oregano
>>> --> 1/2 flat tsp of organic dried basil
>>> --> 3 tablespoons of organic butter
>>> --> 1 flat tablespoon sea salt
>>>
>>> Once the tomatoes cook down into a paste, reduce the
>>> heat to medium and dump the plate into the newly
>>> created tomato paste. Stir while scraping with a
>>> spatula. Cook for about 10 more minutes to cook
>>> the onion and to meld the flavors of the remaining
>>> ingredients. Don't over cook, or you will loose
>>> the buttery flavor of the garlic.
>>>
>>> Makes about seven cups.
>>>
>>> Store in the refrigerator. Spoon out all week
>>> as a yummy topping. This has bad stuff (carbs),
>>> so don't go crazy.
>>>
>>> Common mistakes:
>>>
>>> 1) not cooking the tomatoes long enough
>>> 2) using too much garlic (who me? NEVER!)
>>> 3) using too much onion.
>>> 4) adding the other ingredients before the tomatoes
>>> are ready
>>> 5) adding the olive oil before the tomatoes. You WILL get
>>> splashed with hot oil (it hurts and creates a mess)!
>>>
>>> http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2682/2
>>>

>>> 1 large (3") tomato: 7 grams of the bad stuff (carbs)
>>>
>>> Estimating five giant (5 inch) heirloom tomatoes:
>>> 5"/3" * 7 grams per 3" tomato * 5 tomatoes ~= 58 grams carbs.
>>> Or approximately 8.3 grams bad stuff per cup
>>> Or approximately 1/2 gram per tablespoon
>>>
>>> -T
>>>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> Update:
>>
>> The bad new is that Heirloom tomatoes are officially
>> out of season. :'( :'( :'(
>>
>> The good news is that I made my sauce with 8 Trader
>> Joe's, picked too green and left to ripen on my
>> counter for a week, beef steak tomatoes (~4").
>>
>> Her Tropheyness pronounced it the best sauce she
>> had ever tasted. :-)
>>
>> -T
>>

>Hi All,
>
>Update:
>
>On Susan's recommendation (thank you Susan!) I found
>some bottled organic tomatoes from Italy at Raley's
>over in the health food section, on sale too, called
>"Jovial" whole pealed tomatoes. They are very good.
>And go very well in my tomato sauce. Great sub
>for when heirlooms are out of season.
>
>-T
>
>Just over the hill is California's great central
>valley, with some of the world's greats farms. I
>wish I could get some organic bottled tomatoes
>from them. Probably a lot cheaper too.

Not really any cheaper, from my observation. I live in the central
valley. Fresh produce may be cheaper but not canned. I also shop the
health food section at our local Raley's. I usually buy Full Circle
organic tomatoes when I buy canned.