Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Karen[_11_] Karen[_11_] is offline

Default What cereal to eat for Breakfast?

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 21:40:30 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, Todd
> wrote:

>On 10/11/2013 07:50 PM, Karen wrote:
>> Just this week I had a doctor tell me when you do not
>> get enough energy from carbs your body starts breaking down muscle and
>> then you spill ketones into the urine.

>Hi Karen,
>
>You (or someone else) is paying out the nose for those doctors.
>Of course follow what they say.
>
>Are you sure that is what the doctor said? If you google
>"Inuit paradox" you will find that the Inuits don't have
>any carbs at all. Carbs are not necessary for humans.
>My GP laughed and said I was correct when I mentioned
>the Inuits. (He was happy I am low carb, rather than constantly
>trying to cheat the regimen. He does not like having to
>amputate legs.)
>
>Your liver will manufacture whatever glucose you need. And
>you spill keytones into your urine when you fast (you feel
>hungry when this happens). You also blow them out your
>breath. You will smell like fruit punch. It comes from the
>breakdown of your own stored fat. (Keyto sticks are
>really cheap at Wal mart, if you want to monitor yourself.
>They are over by the diabetic test strips.)
>
>Here is a nice article on keytones:
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketone_bodies
> "Ketone bodies are three different water-soluble,
> biochemicals that are produced as by-products when
> fatty acids are broken down in the liver for energy..."
>
>I think possibly you heard your doctor wrong. Maybe
>next time you see him, you should ask him about the Inuits
>and where keytones come from. If that is what he really
>said, you may wish to do some research on your own.
>(I would get another doctor, but that is only me.)
>But, I think you heard him wrong: it is a major screw up.
>
>And, when I said "learn to cook", I meant as/for a diabetic.
>If your diabetes is such, and we all have our own personalized
>diabetes, that you can eat the modern diet then more
>power to you. All I can say is that if you go back to
>Paleo, you will probably feel better and your diabetics
>will possibly be easier to handle. Perhaps not.
>
>And if you can eat high carb, this is probably not
>the best place to publish your recipes. There is a
>really nice cooking group for regular folks too (T0's).
>
>And I only kill file nasty people who like to pick fights.
>So, you are not kill filed. People can disagree with each
>other without being disagreeable. It is actually fun to
>learn from others. Let us start over. Hello, my name is
>Todd. I am a NIDDM (non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus
>or non-insulin dependent type 2 diabetic). I am currently
>drug free and hope I never have to go on drugs again.
>I control my T2/NIDDM with diet, natural medicine, and
>fishing (exercise that is fun). I love to cook diabetic/Paleo.
>
>Now your turn. I am Karen ...

>-T

Todd, I follow what my endo says because it has worked for me. Why
would I change what is working? That seems self defeating. It has
managed my T2 quite well. I really don't wish to go on the paleo
diet. You like it, and that's good-for you, but for me. I see no
need to change what is already working. My numbers are good, I take
no meds for that. I have no neuropathy, and excellent circulation to
my feet.

As for the conversation, I am done with it. I have no wish to argue
any more. I hope we can just agree to disagree and leave it at that.
I won't change my mind, and you aren't changing yours. Peace....