Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What cereal to eat for Breakfast?

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 10/05/2013 09:22 PM, Karen wrote:
>
> Hi Karen,
>
> I can't see what Julie writes as she is kill filed.
> She likes to pick fights. And I see she is still at it.

You'd be wrong there. I just don't like lies.

>> You don't catch diabetes. Many
>> things factor into it. Diet may push things along, but it is not the
>> sole cause of it.

> You don't catch T2 Diabetes like a cold. You just wear your
> body out. My GP spent about 1/2 hours telling me about how
> our bodies are designed with about 5 times margin and that
> our modern diet is at or exceeds it. I was exceeding it
> and it caught up with me. Some folks are better off genetic
> wise.

The body doesn't wear out with diabetes. And whatever he or she spent a
half an hour telling you, didn't make any sense...at least in you retelling
it to us.

>> I know many diabetics and none of them have been
>> told to eat 375 g of carbohydrates daily.

> Neither do I. I wasn't talking about Diabetics. I was
> talking about the general population.

And if that's what they are eating, they are likely fine with that. But is
that what they are eating? I don't know. I ate a lot of carbs prior to
diabetes and I don't think I ate that much!

>> I'm not sure where you came
>> up with that number, Todd, but it just isn't accurate.

> Grab a box of something that has nutritional information on it.
> You will see under carbs a "% Daily Values (DV)".
> Here is one: http://products.usa.fage.eu/fruyo-0-blueberry-6-oz
> There is a button to see full nutritional information:
>
> Nutritional information per serving * % Daily Values (DV)
> Total carbohydrates 21g 7%
>
> 21g /.07 = 300. (I have seen the 375 on other packages)
> And you are correct. That is A LOT of yogurt.

Just because it says something on a package, doesn't mean that is what
people eat. I never ate as many calories as the average person eats, as an
adult. And 21g of carbs for a sweetened yogurt is not a lot of yogurt. At
least I don't think so. I've never eaten yogurt beyond a taste to tell me
that I didn't like it. People also don't eat just yogurt.

>> That would be
>> 25 servings of carbs. I don't think anyone eats that much.

> I ate a lot of pasta.
> http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...d-pasta/5757/2
> 2 oz is 14 grams. I must have ate a pound worth at a sitting
> (112 grams). Not to mention the sauce. And bread and corn and
> rice and potatoes and yams and sweet potatoes, yada, yada, yada.
> I did it to my self.

Perhaps you did. I ate pasta. Certainly never a pound of it at a sitting.
Rarely ate bread of corn. Ate some rice, some potatoes, never sweet
potatoes, but ate a lot of beans. Just because you ate those things doesn't
mean that the food gave you diabetes. If that were true, most everyone
would have it. And people who ate low carb would not.

> Usually I find the ones who call me nuts on this are the
> one that don't want to follow the restrictions. The satiation
> switch that goes off in our brains with carbs is extremely addictive.
> We were NEVER designed to consume such levels of carbs. Get
> use to your artificial legs. On the bright slide, you can wear
> any shoe you want and they don't hurt.

That might be true for you. I have learned that some people are carb
addicts and some are not. I am not. I also believe there is no one diet
that fits all.

You also seem to jump to the wrong conclusions very easily. And I don't
think for an instant that you can prove that the body was not designed to
eat that many carbs.

> And for those that say we are evolving for it,
> 1) we catch T2 after we reproduce and 2) any genetic mutation
> to eat high carbs is being "diluted" as we are not dying till
> after we reproduce.

Uh... Whatever that means!

>> Just so
>> you know, all vegetables have carbs in them too.

> That is why I say all over the place natural/organic meat
> and that are not hybridized for carbs.

What does that even mean?

>> I have T2, eat grain still and control my glucose levels with diet,
>> and it is working.

> I am tickled that it is working. How long did
> it take you to get to drug free?

That's a very rude thing to say. And being drug free is not really
something to Lord over someone. People need meds for various reasons and
just because you don't doesn't make you any better than them. Nor does it
make them weak or in any way inferior to you!

> Here is an article to consider on why grains are
> unhealthy from Mr. Paleo himself, Mark Sisson who
> has been a diabetic since he was a kid:
>
> http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-g...are-unhealthy/
>
> By the way, for those that argue about what is and what isn't
> Paloe, I consider whatever we ate before beer to be Paleo.

You really seem to be sold on this guy and I just can't fathom why. Ornish
probably has just as many followers. And he promotes eating whole grains
among other things.

>> I'm glad you have been able to go off the meds,
>> but I hope it was done safely.

> Thank you for the kind words.
>
> Good Advice, I am watching my meter like a hawk. And several
> times a day too. So far, I am a fraction better than on
> Metformin. And the side effects are going away.
> I am stronger and a lot happier. (Metformin causes
> depression, among other things.)

It might have caused depression for you. I take it and know plenty of
others who do. None of us are depressed.

> By the way, I am drug free, but not medicine free.
> I use a lot of tradition medicine (herbs, etc.).
> Anyone let me know if they want to know the
> traditional medicines I use.

*sigh* You seem not to know what a drug is. Red Rice Yeast is a
traditional medicine and yet it is a statin.