Posted to alt.fan.jai-maharaj,soc.culture.indian,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa
Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] is offline

Default Bollywood celebs go vegan

BOLLYWOOD CELEBS GO VEGAN

PTI
The Pioneer
http://www.dailypioneer.com
Saturday, March 9, 2013

Nearly 50 leading names from the world of Bollywood,
fashion and music have shared their kitchen secrets in a
book on how to keep their celebrity status intact by
incorporating a delicious healthy vegan diet with no
cholesterol.

Dilip Kumar, Saira Banu, Om Puri, Anupam Kher, Hema
Malini, Mahesh Bhatt, Sonam Kapoor, Sonakshi Sinha and
Vidya Balan are just a few who have contributed their
recipes which include no animal products.

The book*The Vegan Kitchen: Bollywood Style!, published
by Westland, is authored by Anuradha Sawhney.

With forewords from renowned doctors Esselstyn Caldwell
and Neal Barnard and fitness expert Mickey Mehta, who
explain how a nutritious vegan diet can help reverse
heart disease, manage diabetes and reduce obesity, as
well as promote fitness, the book is a cocktail of taste,
glamour and health in truly vegan style.

It has a collection of healthy vegan (vegetarian recipes
which do not use any milk or milk products) dishes from
around the world and from different parts of India.

‘Bad man’ Gulshan Grover gives a recipe for brown rice
poha. “This is a dish that I started to eat because of my
son Sanjay. He made me aware of the fact that by having
poha*made of brown rice flakes, I was consuming fibre
which is good for health, yet not compromising on taste,”
he says.

Om Puri has a recipe for*palak raita, saying, “I love
palak*in any form… Sometimes, if I feel like eating the
raita*with*chappatis, I boil potatoes, break them with my
hand and add them to thepalak raita.”

Model Yana Gupta also contributes a recipe that has*palak
as an ingredient - coriander spinach brown rice. “I love
this dish simply because I am obsessed with*palak*in
whatever form.”

Mahesh Bhatt has this to say about his recipe of spinach,
onion and carrot soup “This is a great soup. Often I just
don’t feel like eating a heavy dinner and Soni makes me
something light like this soup and a salad. This also
goes well with light pasta and it’s full of nutrition.”

Dilip Kumar enjoys eating vegetarian dishes and the
recipe he contributes is that of*aaloo mattar. Wife Saira
Banu gives a vegan recipe of Bhavnagiri*mirchi*aur*aaloo.

Other recipes include*rajma*(Sonakshi Sinha), drumstick
sambar*(Hema Malini),*sookha*aaloo*or stir fried potatoes
(Sonam Kapoor), Kerala*pachadi*or red pumpkin with
coconut (Vidya Balan) and Kashmiri*dum aaloo*(Anupam
Kher).

Pickled bamboo shoot, a delicacy from Assam and a
favourite of late singer-composer Bhupen Hazarika, also
finds a place in the book. His long-time companion
Kalpana Lajmi also has a recipe to offer - mango curry.

Actress-model Dipannita Sharma teaches how to cook*Boror
Tenga*or Assamese tomato curry with lentil dumplings.
Every recipe has been contributed by top celebrities from
Bollywood, the world of fashion, television and even
music.

“These celebrities may not necessarily be vegetarian or
vegan themselves, but they took time out to share their
favourite vegetarian, non-diary recipes,” the writer
says.

“Some of them sent me their own recipes, some of them who
do not cook, asked their friends and family or recipes of
the vegan dish they love best to eat... They made a
serious effort to get the recipes.”

Whole grain, oil-free, plant-based diets are quickly
becoming essential in today’s age of high cholesterol,
obesity, lifestyle-based cancers, hypertension and adult
onset diabetes. The recipes in the book fit the bill of
being nutritious, whole grain and plant-based to a T!
Every dish is delicious, nutritious and absolutely
cruelty free.

And an added advantage: almost every dish can be made
without using any oil.

PTI

More at:

http://www.dailypioneer.com/vivacity...-go-vegan.html

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.jai-maharaj

o o o

o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used
for the educational purposes of research and open
discussion. The contents of this post may not have been
authored by, and do not necessarily represent the opinion
of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright
law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

o If you send private e-mail to me, it will likely
not be read, considered or answered if it does not
contain your full legal name, current e-mail and postal
addresses, and live-voice telephone number.

o Posted for information and discussion. Views
expressed by others are not necessarily those of the
poster who may or may not have read the article.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This article may contain copyrighted
material the use of which may or may not have been
specifically authorized by the copyright owner. This
material is being made available in efforts to advance
the understanding of environmental, political, human
rights, economic, democratic, scientific, social, and
cultural, etc., issues. It is believed that this
constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material
as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
material on this site is distributed without profit to
the included information for research, comment,
discussion and educational purposes by subscribing to
USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
information go to:

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article
for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you
must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed by forgery by one
or more net terrorists, this post may be reposted several
times.