Posted to rec.food.cooking
Hench Hench is offline

Default Cauliflower

On 9/13/2013 7:56 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 18:10:06 -0400, Hench > wrote:
>
>> Sheppard's pie

> I've substituted mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes several times
> and absolutely love it that way. It's a great way to increase your
> vegetable intake without feeling like something is missing.

I usually brown the cauliflower in a large frying pan with oil,
shallots, and whole crushed garlic cloves. let the cauliflower cool,
save the shallot bits and throw away the garlic

Then i puree the cauliflower with cheese. usually a bit of feta and
white cheddar with lots of ground Parmesan and a bit of dried parsley.

In the meantime i heat butter in the pan add flour, then milk, thicken
it up, really thick roux, then reintroduce the pureed cauliflower cheese
mixture into the roux. Somewhere along there I add an egg, I forget my
notes now.

And that's my shepherds pie potatoe topping substitute. I make the
gravey for the meat portion of the pie extra dark and rich to mask any
flour taste the cauliflower/roux mixture might impart

>> Into a sausage Galette

> Fabulous idea! Do you use a recipe or just throw it together? I have
> a butternut, apple & sausage galette recipe that I love.

sausage and carmalised pear go great too into a galette

I have a galette that i invented for my wife and she'll eat one once a
year. Baked cauliflower, torn into little florets, roasted red pepper,
crumbled spicy turkey sausage, goats cheese. The cauliflower prevents
it from being too rich.

Let me ask you, you make your own galette pastry? I just use butter
puff pastry...