View Single Post
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: '63 Warre, plus Roagna Dolcetto and nice summer wines

On Sunday, September 1, 2013 1:38:10 PM UTC-5, DaleW wrote:

> 1963 Warre’s Vintage Port
>
> Decanted in afternoon, then returned to rinsed bottle (minus about 3 heaping tablespoons of sediment). Showed very well- dried dates and fig, nutty, spice, lighter styled but quite charming. B+/A-
>

I found 6 bottles of Waare's Vintage, so I opened one. I bought it in the early 1970s, and it has not been moved and stored on the side since then. The capsule was metal,likely lead and covered with a fairly thin layer of likely wax, but not nearly as heavy as found on some very old bottles. There was no evidence of leaking.Using a very powerful light in a darkened room, I was able to see the fill was at bottom neck. There was much crust stuck to the side of the bottle that had been turned down for several decades. To my surprise, the very soft cork came out whole. I then used a modified old wine machine to flush out the air in the bottle and serve using a very high purity argon.The tube was pushed only about 1/2 down to avoid any loose sediment. I then waited a day before serving to allow any loose sediment to move to the bottom.

The wine was a very pure ruby red with no brown even around the rim. It was very clear and bright. Of course the color is not as intense as for some older ports that are on the more heavy side. I really find no faults, but some might like a fuller wine better.The intense bouquet does do a very good job of covering up the considerable alcohol.The taste is very pure and clean.It perhaps is not as dry as that of the fruit described by Dale. Of course for a 50 year old wine from the same case, bottle variation becomes very important.