Dutch

Default Foods to Avoid?

k...

http://www.animalrights.net/faq/topi...ld_hunger.html

> > > They were saying that when I first became a Veggie - in 1961!

> > It was likely as true then as it is today.
> >
> > > The feedstuffs-in : meat-out ratio was an argument we often used to

> use
> > > when confronted by those who rejected the compassion arguments -

usually
> > > because they thought that by saying they didn't give a toss about

> animals'
> > > suffering they appeared big strong and tough! Still quite a few of

those
> > > types still about, I see. )

> > Ad hominem fallacy.

> Oy! What a poseur - using Latin already!!)
>
> Nonce Equitur. (Pervert on a horse!)

OK, for your benefit, the fallacy of argument by demeaning the character of
one's opponent instead of addressing the substance of what he says.

> > > The stupid answer we got from the idiots was that it'd be impossible

> > > transport the cereals out to where the starving people are. The fact

> that
> > > even in those days, a huge amount of the cereals used in animal feed

was
> > > already transported to the UK from America completely passed them by.

> > You still haven't refuted the article. There are millions of people

> starving
> > at this very moment while the world continues to have a large net

surplus
> of
> > grains and produce. The problem of hunger is largely economic and

> political,
> > it has nothing to do with western vegetarianism.

Predictably, no response on substance.

> > > And the more clever gits used to trot out the Second Class Protein

> > argument.
> > > If you get your portien fron a good variety of grains, nuts and

legumes
> > you
> > > get all the Amino Acids you need. There's only one Amino Acid that's

> > unique
> > > to one particular vegetable - and it's in walnuts - so that's no

> problem.
> >
> > Strawman fallacy,

That means arguing against a position that your opponent never took.

> we're not discussing the relative nutritional merits of
> > diets.

> > > In those days there was a famine in India made worse by idiot aid

> agencies
> > > having them feed the grains and pulses etc. that they ate themselves

> > > chickens which no one would eat anyway, and only getting something

like
> > 10
> > > : 1 return in protein.
> > >
> > > They also supplied tractors and put all the farm workers out of work!

> > Your position seems largely based on sentimentality and fond memories of
> > imagined rhetorical triumphs over non-vegans 40 years ago. It hardly

cuts
> > the mustard right now.
> >

> Oh, yes it does!

In your deluded mind..

> If you think Veganism is rubbish - go elsewhere,

Make me.

> and cut the formal language
> crap. Save it for business letters etc. It doesn't sound in the least
> authoritative - it just sounds daft!

I'll try to dumb it down for you in future.