SCUBApix

Default Bread without milk, eggs

"Maximillian" > wrote in message
news <snip>
> I want to
> start by making a basic whole wheat bread. So the question is do any
> of you have tried and true basic recipes and maybe some tips for
> baking bread without milk or eggs? (It seems to me that the milk/eggs
> either add some quality or reduce the amount of work involved,
> otherwise why include them since bread can be made without them).
>
> Thanks for your responses.

Here is a recipe http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/recwheat.htm for whole wheat
bread without milk or eggs. It does have 3 tablespoons of shortening for 2
loaves. If that is too much fat for you, try it without the fat. Fat just
'softens' the dough.

Milk and/or eggs add richness to the dough. Brioche and challa are examples
of 'eggy' breads. French bread (baguetts) have nothing more than flour,
water, yeast and salt.