View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Beaujolais, Burgundy, and Champagne

For a couple of days I had custody both of my Basset and a neighbor’s Lhasapoo, but managed to make dinner anyway. Friday was ahi tuna steak, squash, & salad, with the
2011 Chermette/Vissoux “Les Garants” Fleurie. Fairly full bodied and fleshy for Fleurie, ripe black cherries with some soil notes. Lasts well over 3 days. B+

Since I didn’t actually eat lobster in Maine, I picked up a couple Saturday as Stew’s had for $3.99/lb. OK, a bit piggish to eat 2, so invited a friend who was also baching it. Nice night on patio with the 2 dogs, and a nice meal of lobster, green beans in a vinaigrette, salad, corn, and 2 basic white Burgundies

2011 Matrot Bourgogne Blanc
Round, pit fruits, some nuts, perfectly pleasant. B/B-

2011 Pernot Bourgogne Blanc
Minerally, taut, white pear, good acids, more interesting. B+

Sunday I walked both dogs, returned the Lhasapoo to his home, then spent day preparing for and running a big picnic for our homeless friends. Betsy got home while I was gone, and we had a “Betsy is home” celebration dinner. A crab/aioli salad, and a bit of Champagne, the NV Ployez- Jacquemart “Marie Weiss” Champagne Brut. Midbodied, nicely balanced, apples and brioche. Not exactly complex, but very good for under $25 Champagne. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.