Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa
Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] is offline

Default U.S. vegan population doubles in only two years!

Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

http://www.occupyforanimals.org/us-v...two-years.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/di...nia.html?_r=2&

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...n7211309.shtml

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diabete...ory?id=2244647

> [...]
>
> [Caption] Meat was off the menu for half of those in the
> study group
>
> BBC
> Tuesday, March 18, 2008
>
> Heart attacks and strokes are among the leading causes of
> death for sufferers, as the inflammation caused by the
> disease impacts upon the arteries.
>
> But an Arthritis Research and Therapy study found those
> who pursued a vegan regime had less "bad" cholesterol.
>
> By clogging arteries, this is seen as a key risk factor
> for heart problems.
>
> Rheumatoid Arthritis affects around 350,000 people in the
> UK.
>
> Millet and sesame
>
> But researchers at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm
> say this risk could be reduced through a diet which
> excludes animal products and gluten -- found in wheat,
> oats, rye and barley.
>
> "A vegan diet may be helpful in reducing cholesterol,
> but it is difficult to get enough of some important
> nutrients on a vegan diet"
> - Arthritis Research Campaign
> [Which nutrients? - JM]
>
> They placed 38 volunteers on the diet, in which protein
> accounted for 10% of daily energy intake, carbohydrate
> 60% and fat for 30%.
>
> It included nuts, sunflower seeds, fruit and vegetables,
> millet and corn. Sesame milk provided a daily source of
> calcium.
>
> A further 28 volunteers followed a healthy diet with
> approximately the same proportions of protein,
> carbohydrate and fat.
>
> Saturated fats were not to make up more than 10% of daily
> energy intake, and wholegrain products were to be chosen
> as often as possible.
>
> Those on the vegan diet showed a decrease in the total
> level of cholesterol and specifically a reduction in the
> amount of low-density lipoprotein (LSL), also known as
> "bad cholesterol".
>
> In contrast, those on the non-vegan diet showed no
> significant variations in these levels.
>
> The researchers pointed to a "large body of evidence"
> suggesting that these changes were beneficial when it
> comes to preventing blockage of the arteries and
> cardiovascular disease.
>
> The vegan volunteers also had a lower Body Mass Index
> (BMI) at the end of the 12 month period, while the
> control group remained the same.
>
> The Arthritis Research Campaign, which is currently
> looking into how statins may reduce cardiovascular risks
> for sufferers, said the study was of interest but said
> the role of diet could be exaggerated.
>
> "However we do know that, for example, eating oily fish
> can reduce inflammation, and risk factors for developing
> the condition include high consumption of red meat and
> low consumption of fruit and vegetables, so diet does
> play a role -- however limited," a spokeswoman said.
>
> But the charity also sounded a note of warning: "A vegan
> diet may be helpful in reducing cholesterol, but it is
> difficult to get enough of some important nutrients on a

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7301188.stm

Forwarded post:

October 4, 2005

Dining with Friends: The Art of North American Vegan
Cuisine Cookbook

By Priscilla Feral and Lee Hall with Friends of Animals
Nectar Bat Press, 2005
$19.95 Paperback

End of forwarded post.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi