Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default question about butter milk powder

On 08/03/2013 03:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : Hi All,
>
> : Previously, I have been using "cultured" buttermilk by
> : the quart. Thinking powdered "not" cultured butter milk
> : would last longer and taste better, I bought a bag of
> : sweet cream butter milk powder. The usage was for ranch
> : dressing and coconut pancakes:
>
> : https://www.swansonvitamins.com/bobs...wder-24-oz-pkg
>
> : Problem: this stuff tasted like very high quality regular milk.
> : Very nice tasting actually. But it doesn't taste like buttermilk.
> : Is this because I have never tasted real butter milk before this?
> : What is going on?
>
> : Many thanks,
> : -T
>
> I can't actually answer your question, but I will tell you that my late
> husband usd to love buttermilk, but it was quite expensive. He found that
> if he bought a quart of cultured buttermilk with the live cultures in it
> he could make himself a bargain buttermilk by adding abot ua half a cup of
> the buttermilk to a quart of reconstituted dry skim miilk adn let it sit
> on thecounter inthe kitchen (summer in New York City) and it woudl become
> buttermilk as the live cultures worked.
>
> As buttermilk originally was the skimmed remains after the butter was
> made( from the cream in the milk) it would be a low or no fat product.
> The stuff you bought said it was sweet cream buttermilk. tat sound like a
> ocntradiction of terms.
>
> I don't know if this helps you at all, but it is relaed to butermilk and
> finding ways to get it.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

That is actually brilliant. My ranch dressing recipe calls for
a cup of buttermilk. I could sub 3/4 cup of reconstituted
powdered stuff and 1/4 cup of the cultured stuff. My recipe calls
for leaving it in the refrigerator for a couple days, so perfect!

Thank you!

-T