zxcvbob

Default IN PRAISE OF THE ELECTRIC STOVE

Nancy Young wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:

>>>Either that, or the lack of availability of gas in all homes.
>>>
>>>Thank goodness I only suffered a short stint with an electric stove.

>>When I was a kid on the farm (40 - odd years ago) electric stoves were
>>considered the last word in modernity. Even when we finally got "city" gas
>>lines run to our house (we were able to get a gas furnace, which WAS a BIG
>>improvement over the smelly and smoky old coal furnace we had) we still kept
>>the electric stove....

> Oddly, my house, when I bought it, was all set up for gas. Gas stove,
> gas furnace, water heater. The only thing that was electric was the
> dryer. Who the heck would go out of their way to wire a 220 line
> for an electric dryer? Got me.

IMHO it's easier to run a 240V dryer circuit than a gas line. Our house
has all gas appliances except for the clothes dryer; that's the way it
came when we bought it, and DW doesn't like gas dryers for some reason
so I haven't changed it.

The clothes dryer sure works a lot better since we bought a front-
hard; the clothes come out of the washer damp instead of wet. The dryer
was 10 years old when we bought it 12 years ago, and it should last
another 20 if the timer doesn't go out.

Bob <-- doesn't care if the washer and dryer don't match, they're both
white.