Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Trawley Trash Trawley Trash is offline

Default Vegetarian diet for vegetable haters?

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 21:25:15 -0700
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I realize that there probably aren't any vegetarians here but... I
> am stumped. Because of the pre-diabetes, I can't base the meals on
> beans and rice or beans and pasta like I used to do when I was
> vegetarian. And bottom line, she just doesn't like vegetables. I
> used to be able to make her a meatloaf and sneak all kinds of veggies
> into it. Hmmm... Is there something like that, that could be done
> with veggies that isn't overly carby? Hmmm... Help!

A few suggestions.

You can add a little protein to a salad by using yogurt as a dressing.
I have to have something that says zero grams sugar. I can't find
any like that in stores, so I make my own. It isn't hard. It takes
a water bath at 110 degrees F for 24 hours to get a nice firm yogurt
with no sugar. I use a portable induction stovetop to hold the
temperature. You can start from any kind of milk. It comes out sour
so no lemon juice is needed. Add spices to taste for dressing. I
use turmeric, pepper, fenugreek, and juniper berries. Yogurt can
also be used in cooking.

You might try to find a class in Indian cooking. They do vegetarian
cooking better than anyone. Have Angela take the class; it is
time for her to learn to cook for herself. Local health food stores
here are run by Adventists, and they offer vegetarian cooking classes
as well. I think there may be one out your way somewhere.

Another suggestion is bean sprouts. Since our last discussion on this
I tried making lentil bean sprouts, and I like them better than
mung beans. They can be eaten raw or used in cooking. They are
high protein and wonderful in salads. I bought a sprouter, because
store bought sprouts are not very good. They just don't keep well enough.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.