Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default Opinion piece on artificial sweeteners

On 07/22/2013 08:47 AM, Billy wrote:
>> ask to traditional medicine. For instance, I use Opuntia
>> >for my NIDDM T2. It will not lower my Blood Glucose too
>> >low. It helps my liver (which just may be the cause of
>> >my T2). It provides food value. It is fun to cook and make
>> >snot jokes about.
>> >
>> >And, it doesn't matter how much I eat. NO OVERDOSE! It
>> >is not a poison. (Can you say that for modern medicines?

> ERROR, Will Robinson:
> O. megacantha raised concern about toxic effects on the kidney and
> extracts of O. streptacantha may inhibit alpha-glucosidase activity.
>
> Pompe Disease: a disorder in which alpha-glucosidase is deficient.
>
> While alpha-glucosidase inhibitors, are used as anti-diabetic drugs in
> combination with other anti-diabetic drugs, that is not to say that you
> can't over indulge. It's not fool-proof.

Hi Billy,

Thank you for the heads up. You must be careful refining herbs.
I can eat as much unrefined as I want. The danger amount
of the refined stuff is far, far more than I'd ever consume.
1000 mg of Met twice a day sends me down the hall to the
point that I can not go to work. 1000 is a standard dosage
too, not an overdose.

So, you are correct, it is all a matter of proportion.
Chemical drugs are a lot more dangerous than (non-toxic)
herbs. You really, really have to overdue it with
herbs, to the point you'd explode, to hurt yourself.

Where is the world do you buy your bitter melon?

-T