Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Turnip greens

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Todd" > wrote in message
> : > Hi Nick, Billy, and Big,
> : >
> : > Thank you for the feed back. I am wondering if maybe since these
> : > are not standard turnips (they are Golder Globe) and regular
> : > purple turnips taste like stale radishes, that maybe my
> : > greens are more pungent. I hope the bulbs come out okay.
> : >
> : > -T
>
> : What? Purple turnips don't taste like stale radishes! I love raw
> turnips.
> : Don't like them cooked. But then I don't like a lot of vegetables when
> : cooked. The taste changes and not always for the better.
>

> I use them peeled in stews in place of potatoesand they , certainly don't
> taste lik stale or any other kinds of radishes. I have heard of usign
> them mashed withpotatoes to reduce the carb density, but have never tried
> them that way.

I may possibly have had them in a soup and didn't know it. But my mom once
served them mashed. I took a huge helping, thinking they were potatoes.
Not good! We always grew them in our garden as did my grandpa and we always
just cut them into sticks for eating raw. During the summer months we
always had a raw veggie plate on the table with dinner.