Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Trawley Trash Trawley Trash is offline

Default Opinion piece on artificial sweeteners

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 21:52:09 -0700
Todd > wrote:

> On 07/17/2013 08:13 PM, Trawley Trash wrote:
> Sounds like there may be something wrong with your liver.
> (Probably mine too.) If allowed to heal, the liver has
> marvelous healing properties.
>
> Foods (no one get ****ed at me, this is on topic!), also
> called "traditional medicine", that have known healing
> properties for the liver would be
>
> Milk Thistle
> Dandelion Root
> Prickly Pear

Yes, I am beginning to think the problem may actually
be in the liver. I have been studying HFI (hereditary
fructose intolerance), and that is caused by low levels
of a liver enzyme called aldolase-B. My ELISA blood
allergy test showed reactions to every sweet thing
I eat. When I switched from apples (strong reaction)
to pears (no reaction but rarely eaten), I developed an
allergy to pears. Somehow fructose is causing new
IgG allergies to develop. Along with that I do
not seem to be able to metabolize fructose; it makes
me very sleepy.

With HFI the symptom used for diagnosis is low blood
sugar (hypos) that can occur a day or so after eating
fructose. So I began to wonder what would happen if
a person with type II was also HFI. The BG may
read normal or even high during a "hyoo". Type II *masks*
HFI so that it will never be diagnosed. Genetic studies show
that the frequency of the genetic markers is much
higher than the rate of diagnosis. In fact HFI
seems to be about 99 percent underdiagnosed. So I
suspect a deficiency in some liver enzymes
may be part of the problem.

I started on milk thistle a month ago. It has been a
traditional remedy for so long that I do not worry about
it. Since I changed several things at once, I
can't be sure it is this supplement, but I am gaining
strength while holding my weight down. FBG is up a bit
into the 90s, but I think that is the result of
my experiments trying to eat bread.

Now I am going back to potatoes only for my
starches. I eat around 300 grams of them per
day, so the diet that works for me is not low
carb but low fructose. Wheat and other grasses
contain starch-like polymers called fructans.
Inulin is one of them. Generally they are counted
as fiber on food labels, but gut bacteria can
break them down and release fructose.

> Traditional medicine and modern medicine act differently.
> Traditional medicine has side benefits. (For instance,
> Hawthorn Berry helps calm an asthma attack, Milk Thistle
> helps heal hepatitis damage, Prickly pear lowers your
> blood sugar.)
>
> Modern medicine has side effects. So trying the above would
> only cost you a few dollars and would have very little
> likely hood of any side effects. So win - draw.
> Not win - loose.

I have already begun taking milk thistle. Mainstream
medicine failed me, so now I take
what is useful wherever I find it.

> > I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

> Why would I want too? As for me, I will babble on and
> on and on and on ...
>
> By any chance is "Trawley Trash" a reference us "riff raff"
> would miss in some classic novel everyone wants to have read,
> by no one wants to have actually read? :-)

There is no literary reference that I am aware of. I was
living in a trailer at the time I made it up. I like to
use nicks that no one will mistake for a real name. However
I soon received an email from someone in the Philippines
who claimed to know me.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.