Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default Blueberry leaf tea

Hi All,

I tried my first cut of blueberry leaf tea. It was
the "leaf", not he berry, so it did not taste much
like blueberries. Added a bit of stevia. As herbal
teas go, this wasn't so bad. I "might" (note the
weasel word) like it.

Here is why NIDDM's would be interested in blueberry
leaf tea:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17261891

In a 4-week randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial ...
Blueberin reduced fasting plasma glucose from 143+/-5,2mg/L
to 104+/-5,7 mg/L (p<0,001), whereas there was no statistically
significant changes in the Placebo group from 138+/-4,8 mg/L
to 126+/-5,1mg/L (p>0,05).

A 39 point drop. Yipee!

I eat a lot of blueberries too (3/4 of a cups at a time). But,
apparently, the fruit is not so consistent in its chemical
content. Plus, the berries have carbs and the leaves are
insignificant carb wise.

Me thinks I will use both.

Anyone have a favorite blueberry leaf tea?

-T