Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default Opinion piece on artificial sweeteners

On 07/14/2013 08:38 PM, Trawley Trash wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 17:17:32 -0700
> Todd > wrote:
>
>> On 07/12/2013 07:28 AM, Trawley Trash wrote:

>>> I think that is probably right. Think about fructose. It is the
>>> sweetest of the common sugars, but it provides no rush of glucose
>>> into the blood. Instead it must be processed by the liver where
>>> it generally ends up as fat. So we get an insulin response from
>>> fructose, but no matching increase in glucose. Some people
>>> develop hypos from this, and many more have to be careful about the
>>> liver fat.

>> Here is a chart that shows glucose and fructose metabolism
>> and how they interact. (They interact A LOT!)
>>
>> http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.co...1/89/figure/F1

> Yup. That is the sort of thing I am trying to make sense of.
> Similar charts in wikipedia under "fructose_metabolism" and
> "glucose_metabolism". Notice that fructose and glucose both
> connect directly to "extrahepatic metabolism". That means
> they are used directly outside the liver. What this doesn't
> say is that fructose is used by the testes in making sperm.
> Glucose powers everything else. The dotted line from fructose
> over toward glycogen is only active when the liver needs to
> make more glycogen. So most of the fructose ends up as
> lipoprotein (VLDL) before it is sent back into the blood.
> These are blobs of fat. Some of the fructose does end up
> in the glucose pathway converted into pyruvate and powering
> the Krebs cycle, but this is all going on inside the liver.
> Most glucose is never absorbed by the liver, but is directly
> metabolized elsewhere.

It is a cleaver piece of "reverse engineering". What is missing is
what are the sensors, what are they looking for, what is the control
system trying to maintain, what is the high and low margins of how
far the control system can track, why does it choose to go one path
one time and another the next. Basically, our current understanding
is as thought looking through a glass dimly.

And, I would not think that there is enough inulin in a stevia
packet to throw your fructose too far off. If you were using
inulin as a straight sweetener, then, it would be another subject.
remember that the sugar in fruit and vegetables is a dehydrate
of fructose and glucose (frustose + glucose - water). You get
a lot more fructose eating a (ripe) tomato.

and the other another time.