Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Bastille Day and a hot week- Juge and Pepiere are great, others vary

Wednesday was outdoor concert, I made mejillones escabechados (marinated mussels) and cold pheasant salad. Wines included

2012 Rimbert “Petit Cochon Bronze” rose
Darker than I remember previous vintages, a simple strawberry meets maraschino cherry pink. B-

2004 Blain-Gagnard “ La Boudriotte” Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
Warm picnic probably not best place to show a big whte Burg to best advantage. Pear, a bit of lemon, some background oak, seems slightly fatter/flatter than recent bottles, maybe just the heat. No oxidation. B

2009 Domaine des Coutures Saumur Champigny
New producer to me (though I have bought couple bottles in same sale as Fred). Medium body, lovely black cherry and raspberry fruit, light tannin, nice bottle to drink with a little chill. B+/B

2011 Frank Nappa “Anomaly” (North Fork, Long Island)
White from Pinot Noir, surprised that I find I like it, white cherries and apple, moderate acids. B

2010 Domaine du Petit Clos Bourgueil
Green, acidic, short. C

Thursday Betsy and I went to the Tarry Tavern, I had marrow bone and branzino, she had chicken mousse and scallops. We had a couple of quartinos (vintage not specifiec)

Bousquet Rose (Mendoza)
Simple, sweet, sucky. C

Stoneleigh Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough)
Grapefruit and grass, thin, but at least typical (of overcropped SB). B-

Friday I was alone with some pork roast and the 2009 Joguet “Cuvee de la Cure” Chinon. No apparent oak, black raspberry and green tobacco leaf, damp earth. Showing quite well. B+

Saturday night I went to a pre-Bastille Day party by a couple of French friends. Canapes of chicken liver and duck proscuitto, then a shot of cold canteloupe soup with Muscat. Firsr sitdown course was tuna carpaccio, then we had cold leg of lamb and a summer vegetable assortment, followed by 7 French cheeses and dessert. All French wines of course:

Delacroix Blanc de Blancs
Very light, appley, good thirst quencher on a warm night. B-/C+

2012 Chidaine Touraine Rose
Crisp, dry with sweet strawberry fruit, some minerally notes. B+/B

2010 Chateau d'Oupia Minervois
Very good QPR. Juicy, fruity, with soil and ferric notes. Modest tannins, good length. B+/B

2002 Chateau Gillet Bordeaux
Big for Bdx AC, a bit clunky, still a bit of tannin. B-

2000 Juge ‘Cuvee C” Cornas
This was another bottle “oh I still have this” unearthed when I had to move boxes for flood cleanup. I think C is Juge’s drink young bottling, but this has done very well. Dark rich berry fruit, earth, herbs. Totally vibrant, tannins resolved, drinking very well. A-

1978 Ch. Beychevelle (St Julien)
This didn’t actually make it to dinner, as I went to double-decant cork slipped into bottle, while color was good I thought the wine seemed thin and advanced. Decided to go backup bottle (Meyney). Retasted when I got home it was (just drinkable), but I think this saw warm storage, into vinegar crock. This compromised bottle, C/C+

1988 Ch. Meyney
About what one would expect- old school Bdx with still some slightly tough tannin. Modest black fruits, pencil lead, leather. B/B+

2005 Baumard "Carte d’Or” Coteaux du Layon
Apples, apricots, spice, a bit short and needs more zip. B-/C+

Sunday was pasta with clams and garlic chives, and the 2010 Pepiere/Ollivier “Clisson” Muscadet. Full, ripe, vibrant, long. This can age I’d guess, but awfully tasty now. A-

Monday with grilled tofu and squash, plus caprese salad, the 2012 Sobreira Albarino (Rías Baixas). Light to medium bodied, floral, medium acids, easygoing. B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.