Ian Hoare

Default White Merlot, White Cabernet Sauvignon

Salut/Hi Michael Pronay,

le/on 27 Jul 2004 14:57:59 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>Ian Hoare > wrote:

>> Mike Tommasi will perhaps tell me I'm being a little harsh. I'm
>> not. It's the epitome of bad taste, sold expensively and
>> destined to debase the french palate.

>You're quite small-minded, Ian; look, this happens all over
>Europe. Just drop into a supermarket in Vienna, Helsinki, Milan or
>Porto - everywhere the same pre-marinated lousy food, everywhere
>the same non-descript rosés, and piles of charcoal to incinerate
>everything.

I believe you, Michael, but can't speak with the same authority for other
countries. Actually, I don't think it's _quite_ as true in the UK which
doesn't have the "bbq culture" to anything like the same extent.

Actually, if many in France didn't set France up as being the example of
good taste and excellence in everything, denigrating most other countries,
I'd be less scathing. But they do, especially in matters of food and wine,
so often without having tasted the food and wine they feel so free to
criticise, while at the same time debasing their own taste more and more. It
breaks my heart sometimes, Michael.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare