Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Trawley Trash Trawley Trash is offline

Default Opinion piece on artificial sweeteners

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 02:58:13 +0000 (UTC)
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Todd > wrote:
> : Hi All,
>
> : Here is a great opinion piece on artificial sweeteners
> : from a journal called:
>
> : Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism
> : http://www.cell.com/trends/endocrinology-metabolism/
>
> :
> http://download.cell.com/images/edim...sm/tem_888.pdf
>
> : A quick summary: artificial sweeteners initially trick the
> : body into reacting as if something sweet is entering. Then
> : the body gets wise to the trick and stops. Then when you
> : do eat something sweet or carbie, the body doesn't react
> : properly. And the satiation response doesn't kick in,
> : causing overeating and T2 to kick in.
>
> : Basically, the criticism of artificial sweeteners is
> : that body gets wise to them and doesn't react appropriately
> : to the real stuff. Not that the body thinks the fake stuff
> : is real, but that the body starts to think the real stuff
> : is fake.
>
> : -T
>
> I didn't read it, for various vision reasons, bu does Stevia do or
> not do the same thing of tricking the body into thinking it is
> getting sugar, etc? It most liekly is the sweetmess pf tehtaste that
> is the problem, not its artificiality . the Stevia is also an
> artificial sugar as it is someting pretending to be a sugar that is
> not(no calories, no carbs) so if the non-nutritive(better word for
> the general catgory) sweetener fools the body into thinking it is
> gettign sugar, thusr eleasing insuin, etc, then Stevia is just as
> guilty.
>
> Wendy

I think that is probably right. Think about fructose. It is the
sweetest of the common sugars, but it provides no rush of glucose
into the blood. Instead it must be processed by the liver where
it generally ends up as fat. So we get an insulin response from
fructose, but no matching increase in glucose. Some people develop
hypos from this, and many more have to be careful about the
liver fat.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.