Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Diabetes and Statins

Todd > wrote:
Todd, If you are interested in discussing these things, why don't you ry
alt.support.diabetes. We are pretty much all on that grop(or have chosn
to leve it. ) this is the food group for discussign diabetes food
issues, recipies, etc.

there have been many statin discussions on asd and, Idon't think most of
us are looking for morewhen we come to the food newsgroup. Just a
thought.

Wendy : Hi All,

: FDA is now warning about Diabetes and Statins:

: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Cons.../ucm293330.htm

: The Risk of Diabetes:

: Diabetes occurs because of defects in the body?s ability
: to produce or use insulin?a hormone needed to convert food
: into energy. If the pancreas doesn't make enough insulin
: or if cells do not respond appropriately to insulin,
: blood sugar levels in the blood get too high, which can
: lead to serious health problems.

: A small increased risk of raised blood sugar levels and
: the development of Type 2 diabetes have been reported
: with the use of statins.

: ?Clearly we think that the heart benefit of statins
: outweighs this small increased risk,? says Egan. But
: what this means for patients taking statins and the
: health care professionals prescribing them is that
: blood-sugar levels may need to be assessed after
: instituting statin therapy,? she says.

: By the way, Egan is wrong about the "heart benefit of statins".
: Cholesterol does NOT show as a risk factor in autopsies:

: http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/23/6/847.full.pdf
: http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/95/6/397.full

: And statins can cripple and/or kill you:
: Rhabdomyolysis statins, statin-induced rhabdomyolysis:
: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16651050
: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Cons...cm293330.htm#4

: -T