Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Opinion piece on artificial sweeteners

On 7/11/2013 8:24 PM, Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Here is a great opinion piece on artificial sweeteners
> from a journal called:
>
> Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism
> http://www.cell.com/trends/endocrinology-metabolism/
>
> http://download.cell.com/images/edim...sm/tem_888.pdf
>
> A quick summary: artificial sweeteners initially trick the
> body into reacting as if something sweet is entering. Then
> the body gets wise to the trick and stops. Then when you
> do eat something sweet or carbie, the body doesn't react
> properly. And the satiation response doesn't kick in,
> causing overeating and T2 to kick in.
>
> Basically, the criticism of artificial sweeteners is
> that body gets wise to them and doesn't react appropriately
> to the real stuff. Not that the body thinks the fake stuff
> is real, but that the body starts to think the real stuff
> is fake.
>
> -T

I dislike sugar sweetened beverages. No sweeteners in my coffee or tea.
Hate sugared sodas and punches. Sugar sets my teeth on edge.

I have been drinking diet soda since I was a teenager. That's over half
a century. Went through all the different types of sweeteners that were
on or off the market. I down between 3 and 5 cans of Coke Zero a day and
have been for years. Before Coke Zero it was Diet Coke. Before that it
was Tab.

According to that article, I should be a T2 by now, but my BG is perfect
and and I am not overweight.

My thyroid condition is from radiation side effects. Otherwise my
metabolism is in good working order despite all that diet soda.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas