Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Knorr Turkish Soup Mixes

On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 10:10:57 +0200, "ViLco" > wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > I bought this a few weeks ago, but haven't used it yet.
> > http://www.capriflavors.com/images/f...room_cubes.jpg
> > I've been told it's an excellent product, but I'll use it to flavor
> > rice first because rice needs salt anyway.

> Wishin' you well, the few mushroom bouillion cubes I tried were not that
> good... and they were at least once from Knorr, the other one from Maggi,
> very industrial products.

That's why I haven't been inspired to use it ASAP. I'll just wait
until I want mushroom flavored rice and try it then.

> BTW, is it true that in the USA you don't have a good opinion about porcini
> mushroom?

I can't say I've ever seen fresh porcini mushrooms, the only type I
buy are dried and I'm not bowled over by them. I like our dried mixed
wild mushrooms (which includes morels) just as well, maybe better, and
it's certainly less expensive.

> A friend who's been there some months told me he always got morels
> and others but never porcini. Porcini here are considered the real deal when
> talking about moshrooms, be it risotto or other dishes. I always have at
> least a pack of dried porcini, usually from the local Apennine mountains,
> like the Re Porcino brand packaged in Pavullo nel Frignano (Modena), 60 km
> from where I live:
> http://www.ilsottobosco.com/it/sched...secchi-01b.pdf

Can't say I've ever seen dried porcini that large. What I see is
smaller, sliced very thinly and packaged in a bag.

> It takes less than 15 minutes to revive them in lukewarm water, and then
> then it's always Autumn, or at least... a part of Autumn I really like.

Not saying I don't have any dried porcini on hand, just saying I don't
think they are any better tasting than any other kind of dried
mushroom. To be honest, if I want a really mushroomy mushroom -
shiitake is a great one to buy AFAIAC. Fresh shiitake are a lot more
expensive than dried, but reconstituted dried shiitake are fabulous,
IMO.