Peter Aitken

Default Neat way to cook Alaska King Crab Legs (Thanks Alton Brown)

"Default User" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:
>
> > The microwave energy penetrates the cells. It then causes the internal
> > water to vaporize which ruptures the cell. This is not steaming.
> > Microwaving is a unique form of cooking. I have never eaten any

microwave
> > food that I cannot immediately detect as such due to its rubbery

texture.

> Wrapped in wet paper towels? I doubt there's much penetration at all.
> Most of the microwave energy will go into heating that water. If you
> just plunk the legs in, then sure, but that's not what's happening.
>

> Brian Rodenborn

It's well established that MWs penetrate about 1" into food. I may have the
exact value wrong but it is close. Unless you have a 1" thick layer of paper
towels, a lot of the energy will get thru to be absorbed by the food. I'm
not saying this is bad for the crab legs - I do not know. But your claim
that you are "not microwaving" the crab legs is bunk.

--
Peter Aitken