Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes
casa bona[_2_] casa bona[_2_] is offline

Default 11 secret herbs and spices?

On 7/3/2013 2:49 PM, Gary wrote:
> casa bona wrote:

>>> In the 1970's when I first started cooking and collecting recipes there
>>> was an article in our newspaper food section about one persons quest to
>>> duplicate Kentucky Fried Chicken. The author claimed that he'd shown his
>>> recipe to Colonel Sanders and that he'd smiled and said that this recipe
>>> was pretty close.
>>>
>>> I have no idea if the dry tomato soup mixes are still available (or how
>>> they might have changed over time), but here it is:
>>>
>>> 3 C flour
>>> 1 T paprika
>>> 2 envelopes tomato cup a soup
>>> 2 packages italian dressing mix
>>> 3 lb cut up chicken
>>>
>>> Mix together dry ingredients. Add chicken pieces and shake to coat
>>> well. Deep fry until golden and place on baking sheet. Brush chicken
>>> pieces with melted butter and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
>>>
>>> - - - - -
>>>

>>> marcella

>> Thanks for that, it's the other side of the discussion on what makes up KFC.
>>
>> I think I'm less inclined to accept it due to what I personally think I
>> taste in the coating, which almost certainly has hints of sage and
>> marjoram, and for saltiness has to have some enhancement like Accent.
>>
>> Also the fry followed by an hour at 350 seems way to long - I can see
>> maybe 30 minutes.
>>
>> There is a lot of fried chicken out there, but KFC's has stood the test
>> well and remains a very complex taste profile.
>>
>> I'm not averse to Popeyes, but Church's does nothing for me.

> Have you ever tried Hardee's fried chicken? It's pretty darn good.

I have and I agree, thanks for the reminder. It's been a while too,
they're not in my local market.

> As for the KFC recipes above (sorry to quote it all but all seems relevant
> here), I've tried several "copycat" recipes in the past and they were all
> good but not like the original.

I've been having similar experiences, until I started experiment with
buttermilk brining - that's getting me closer., bu not the same yet either.

> I worked at KFC for the summer months in 1971. I wish I had paid attention
> to the ingredients. For every batch of chicken we cooked (12 chickens, each
> cut into 9 pieces each), we opened a seasoning package to add to the flour.
> Those packs listed all of the 11 herbs and spices. I wish I had written them
> down back then.
>
> G.

Oh wow, need to find the wayback machine...