Dee Randall

Default Proofing bread at home.

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> Kenneth > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:38:38 -0700, "Mike Avery"
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Controlling the temperature of the dough as well as the temperature and
> >>humidity of the proofing area are big factors in this.

> >Hi Mike,
> >
> >On that we agree, but please note how frequently in this thread folks
> >talk about ways of "warming" the dough. In fact, I don't recall too
> >many comments about accurately measuring the temperature of the dough
> >or the surrounding environment.

> Decided to check the loaf I started this morning. Room temp is 69.1.
> Internal temp of the dough is 72.4. It doubled in 2 hours just
> sitting on the counter in a plastic container with one of the "shower
> cap" covers on it.

Did you use a lot of yeast to get it to do this? I cannot get my dough to
rise in less than 3-4 hours at this temperature. I never put it in the
refrigerator to rise anymore. After I take it out of the refrigerator after
and overnight and warm it up, it might take all day to rise, ALWAYS too
darned lated to have bread even that day. I certainly would love to have
that second overnight rise IN the refrigerator, but I can't get it right.

So I specifically latched on to the above
"In fact, I don't recall too
> >many comments about accurately measuring the temperature of the dough
> >or the surrounding environment."

thanks,
Dee