Old 24-05-2013, 10:00 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default ?Poblano!

On 05/24/2013 12:10 PM, Opple0pňad wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2013 11:36:08 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 05/23/2013 02:56 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
: Hi All,

: I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
: weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
: Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
: thinking of growing them this year.)

: While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
: had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
: said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.

: As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
: through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)

: What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
: the skins? Do they need to be burned off?

: Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?

: Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
: eggs. Said they were delicious that way.

: Many thanks,
: -T

That is the traditional way to skin all kinds of peppers(oftendone when
they are to be used in a sauce, etc. You blacken them over a flame and
then put them into a paper bagandshke a little and let wait. the skin
then comes of with your fingers quite easily. I generally don't mind the
skin so seldom do this. Poblanos are the traditinal pepper for chili
rellanos or Mexican stuffed peppers, which i have never made,but have
eaten:-) Poplanos(dried called Anchos) are mld for a chili, bu thave a
little kick so can add a nice light punch to things like those scrambled
eggs.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thank you!

Okay, I have burned butter twice and egg plant one. So this
is right up my alley. Any idea how to burn a Poblano with
an electric stove?

-T

Put the oven rack on the top slot, turn the oven to broil and place
the peppers on a sheet of aluminum foil. Watch closely doesn't take
long.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(