Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking,sci.bio.food-science
Nancy2[_2_] Nancy2[_2_] is offline

Default What is an "egg" actually doing in a flour recipe (onion rings) anyway?

On May 14, 7:31*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> "Danny D" > wrote in message

> > My kid and I am just learning how to cook, and I keep seeing these
> > recipes that call for "an egg".
> >http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12981834.jpg

> > For example, we were making onion rings today and found this:
> >http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/co...-make-onion-ri...

> > Seems to me, except for the seasoning, the egg & milk aren't
> > any better or worse than equivalent amounts of water ... but
> > maybe I'm missing something.

> > QUESTION: What 'does' the egg actually do in these recipes?

> The egg shell, if you are using it, would add crunch, I suppose. *I would
> recommend against it.
>
> You don't need to use egg, but it provides some volume. *Tenpura batter has
> no egg (look it up). *You can also just dust the onion rings with flour for
> a different end result.

I.e., your egg batter will puff up more than just plain water. Here's
mine - it's really good - you may need to add beer to the batter if it
gets too thick.

1 large onion
2 1/4 C. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
20-24 oz. room temperature beer

Cut the rings and put them in ice water for at least 3 hours (use ice
cubes and water, and put the container in the fridge).

Oil temp should be at least 375 deg. F. - in my big electric frypan,
400 worked better because I cut the rings fairly thin.

Drain the rings and shake them in a bag of flour until they're well-
coated. Submerse in the beer batter and drop in the oil. Fry until
light brown, turning once. Keep warm on a rack on a cookie sheet in
the oven - salt just before serving.

I don't like to put them on paper towel, because the grease kind of
soaks back in - so I put out a cookie sheet with a small cooling rack
on top, and load the onion rings on that to drain and dry - keep the
oven about 200 or so (warm).

N.