Old 15-05-2013, 01:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default What is an "egg" actually doing in a flour recipe (onion rings)anyway?

On 5/14/2013 7:19 PM, Danny D wrote:
My kid and I am just learning how to cook, and I keep seeing these
recipes that call for "an egg".

For example, we were making onion rings today and found this:

(snip)
Seems to me, except for the seasoning, the egg & milk aren't
any better or worse than equivalent amounts of water ... but
maybe I'm missing something.

QUESTION: What 'does' the egg actually do in these recipes?

(Cross-posting snipped)

What does it do? It adds a different texture.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/53...-milk-or-eggs/

"The liquid can be water, milk, beer, eggs or any combination that
appeals to the cook."

It's pretty simple; if you don't want to use eggs, don't.

Jill