Old 15-05-2013, 12:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking,sci.bio.food-science
ImStillMags ImStillMags is offline
Banned

Default What is an "egg" actually doing in a flour recipe (onion rings) anyway?

On May 14, 4:20*pm, Danny D wrote:
My kid and I am just learning how to cook, and I keep seeing these
recipes that call for "an egg".
*http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12981834.jpg

For example, we were making onion rings today and found this:http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/co...-make-onion-ri...

Seems to me, except for the seasoning, the egg & milk aren't
any better or worse than equivalent amounts of water ... but
maybe I'm missing something.

QUESTION: What 'does' the egg actually do in these recipes?

You only have to ask one.

The egg is a binder. It causes the flour to stick to whatever is
dipped in the egg wash. Ever tried to get egg off a plate. It's
like glue.
That's it's purpose.