Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kitchen Nightmares Finale 2013

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 May 2013 23:23:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> Used to be a pizza place in Lynnwood in the 80's. Didn't last too long.
>> The owner had a reputation of yelling at people, especially if they
>> ordered
>> the "white" pizza. He would tell them that it was terrible and they
>> wouldn't like it! Now why he put it on the menu is beyond me. At that
>> point in time, there was no other place around here that offered it.
>>
>> My husband (we weren't married then) and I went in to see just how bad he
>> was. And indeed he did yell at people a lot. I had intended to try to
>> order the white pizza just to see what happened,

> It sounds like he was a Seinfeld fan and was emulating the Soup Nazi.

But I am pretty sure this pre-dates Seinfeld. When was that on? The guy
was from NY though.

I wonder if the "You don't want that!", thing is common in NY. There was a
little mom and pop store near where we lived. I didn't shop there often
because the prices were high, but we were near there and I stopped in to see
if they had anything for dinner. They did have tomatoes and basil so I
asked if they had fresh Mozzarella. They did but it was just one serving.
The guy kept telling me that I didn't want it because it wouldn't be enough
for me. I actually did want it because I only wanted it for me. Husband
and daughter wouldn't eat Caprese.

>> but then when I saw the
>> cheese pizza available by the slice (again something uncommon here in
>> those
>> years), just ordered that. My husband asked him if he could do
>> Strombli?
>> All of a suddent the owner got very nice and struck up a long
>> conversation
>> with him. Again, back then Stromboli was unheard of here and I don't
>> know
>> know if it can be had here although some places do Calzones now. The
>> owner
>> was so pleased that my husband had not only heard of Stromboli but that
>> his
>> female relatives made it at home.
>>
>> So while we did witness his very bad and seemingly uncalled for bad
>> attitude, he was very nice to us.

> It was probably before whatever the name of the movie was that
> featured stromboli (20 or so years ago - not the earlier one titled
> Stromboli). That's the first time I'd ever heard of it and I don't
> think I've actually seen it on a menu yet. I'm afraid to make it at
> home, mainly because I just can't see the inside baking properly - but
> also, it just doesn't sound very good to me. I don't order meat pizza
> and meat bread is more of the same only ickier. I do like calzones
> and used to make them to put in kids lunch boxes every time I made
> pizza, but mine are mainly ricotta and spinach, with a nod to meat
> (but not in my calzone).

Yes. This would have been early/mid 80's. Stromboli is dead easy to make
and I've never had it not bake on the inside. Just use regular pizza dough,
rolled pretty thin. Put in the filling, fold it over and bake until it
starts to turn golden on the outside. About 20 minutes.