Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Kitchen Nightmares Finale 2013

On Sat, 11 May 2013 23:23:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Used to be a pizza place in Lynnwood in the 80's. Didn't last too long.
> The owner had a reputation of yelling at people, especially if they ordered
> the "white" pizza. He would tell them that it was terrible and they
> wouldn't like it! Now why he put it on the menu is beyond me. At that
> point in time, there was no other place around here that offered it.
>
> My husband (we weren't married then) and I went in to see just how bad he
> was. And indeed he did yell at people a lot. I had intended to try to
> order the white pizza just to see what happened,

It sounds like he was a Seinfeld fan and was emulating the Soup Nazi.

> but then when I saw the
> cheese pizza available by the slice (again something uncommon here in those
> years), just ordered that. My husband asked him if he could do Strombli?
> All of a suddent the owner got very nice and struck up a long conversation
> with him. Again, back then Stromboli was unheard of here and I don't know
> know if it can be had here although some places do Calzones now. The owner
> was so pleased that my husband had not only heard of Stromboli but that his
> female relatives made it at home.
>
> So while we did witness his very bad and seemingly uncalled for bad
> attitude, he was very nice to us.

It was probably before whatever the name of the movie was that
featured stromboli (20 or so years ago - not the earlier one titled
Stromboli). That's the first time I'd ever heard of it and I don't
think I've actually seen it on a menu yet. I'm afraid to make it at
home, mainly because I just can't see the inside baking properly - but
also, it just doesn't sound very good to me. I don't order meat pizza
and meat bread is more of the same only ickier. I do like calzones
and used to make them to put in kids lunch boxes every time I made
pizza, but mine are mainly ricotta and spinach, with a nod to meat
(but not in my calzone).