Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sugar Free Chocolate from Cocoa Powder

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message

> No, that's not true. There are plenty of reasons, all well documented.
> One can speculate on which reason is the chicken and which is the egg, but
> that doesn't mean there aren't already proven behavioral strategies to
> solve the problem. They're all basically eat less, eat better, and move
> more. We eat more, we eat poorer quality food, and we move less than we
> used to.
>
> -S-

Oh dear GAWD! Don't give me that. Please! Please! I think if I ate less
than I do know I would probably starve. For sure I would be malnourished.
I already have to take handfuls of supplements each morning and night for
what is lacking in my diet. On a really good day I can take in about 1,000
calories per day. Once in a great while 1,100. But that's really rare.
Most days I am lucky to be able to get in 800. That's two meals, one of
which is toast, 6 days a week. And a bed time snack. Lately I have been
having extreme trouble with that snack putting it off later and later and
finally resorting to eating a few Saltines because I am just not hungry!

There is no way I can eat better than what I do. My stomach just doesn't
digest certain things and I can't possibly eat more. If I try to, it comes
right back up. I try to avoid that. I do run every bite that I eat through
the Cron-O-Meter every once in a while to check the amount of calories I am
taking in and where the vitamins and minerals might be lacking. It's almost
always lacking in vitamin E. And then I take Metformin which leaches the
B12 out of the body.

I can not move more either. I am disabled for one thing. I am as active as
I can be. If I have to push myself to do more then I risk a Fibromyalgia
flare and that can leave me pretty much bedridden or sitting in a chair
trying to ease the muscle cramps that take over my body. Better I should do
what I know my body can handle and not do something that I know will sicken
me unless I have to. And yes, sometimes I have to.

The Dr. ordered me to stop working out with weights. I used to do quite a
lot of that but all it did was raise my blood sugar. Did not cause any
weight loss at all. Did build up muscles and then the muscles got tight.
The Rheumatologist said that I didn't have muscles. I had iron. And tight
muscles and Fibromyalgia go hand in hand.

I am very picky about my food. I read every label on everything I buy. If
it has a label. And much of it does not because it is simply produce or
dried beans. Some meat. Plain meat that I cook from scratch most of the
time. Or cooked hamburger patties from Costco. Nothing added. Also nuts
and seeds. I eat things that a lot of people won't because I see the
nutritional value in them. Like chia and hemp seeds.

I am a big stickler for healthy foods. Just ask my nieces and nephews. If
they go out with me for a day, I don't care where we are, they're going to
eat healthy food. Yeah, if we're at a carnival, I might buy them a fried
food and a sweet, although I will try not to. But they're also going to eat
some vegetables. I will find these sorts of things. I will try to check
ahead of time. And if I think there might be a problem, you'd better
believe that there will be baby carrots and celery sticks in my purse with a
little ice pack.

I only wish it were as easy as just eating less and moving more. It's not
for most people. Yes, there are exceptions. Some people overeat or have
eating disorders. These sorts of things may or may not be easy to address.
And then of course there are the people who simply don't know how to eat
properly. We've seen them countless times on those weight loss sorts of TV
shows. Perhaps for some of them it is simply a matter of changing their
diets. And exercising more. But in most cases there is going to be a
psychological issue that causes them to eat what they do and/or the amounts
that they do.

How many times have we seen yo yo dieters? I've seen tons. Even if it's
only 10 pounds that they lose. Yeah, they can lose but they can't maintain
that weight loss.

I myself lost 30 pounds back in the 1980's. It wasn't easy to do. I had to
eat so little that I was hungry and crabby all the time. I had to exercise
to the point of injury. I did this for 3 years. But it wasn't something I
could maintain. I snapped. I was tired of feeling exhausted and awful and
hungry and limiting what I did and where I went because I didn't want the
temptation of food around. I caved. That's what happens to most people.

I only eat less now because of my stomach issues. My stomach will only
allow me to eat so much.