Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Freides[_2_] Steve Freides[_2_] is offline

Default Sugar Free Chocolate from Cocoa Powder

Julie Bove wrote:
> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
> crg.pbz...

>>> I would never say that I'm in perfect health. Nobody with diabetes
>>> could make that claim!

>>> No Dr. has told me to lose weight. Not ever. But I was told to
>>> gain weight
>>> when I was severely underweight. And my doing that then would be
>>> about as
>>> futile as my trying to lose weight now.
>>>
>>> Recent studies have shown that overweight people live longer than
>>> underweight or even normal weight people. I don't think being
>>> overweight is
>>> a problem or even the lower end of obese. Certainly if one is
>>> morbidly obese there can be wear and tear on the joints, the back,
>>> etc. I suppose the feet could even take a pounding. But there are
>>> plenty of obese people
>>> who have no known medical problems. Of course the fact that they
>>> are obese
>>> might make them not want to go to the Dr. I have seen people say
>>> this online. They get sick but fear the Dr. because they think the
>>> Dr. will not
>>> help them unless they lose weight.

>> maybe because "obese" is not generally the normal state for the human
>> body? I suspect you've misread the study you're referring to about
>> "overweight people live longer than...". There are more than a few
>> qualifying statements in that study. Overweight in the USA IS a
>> problem, that's become epidemic in my lifetime, and I'm your age.
>>
>> I watched some of that Dr. Fuhrman program on "Diabesity" on my
>> local PBS station recently, and he had an interesting statistic; in
>> the 1980's, no state in the US had over 20% obesity rate, and in
>> 2010 there was not a state that didn't have over 20% obesity! What
>> the heck are we doing, people?

> And that's the problem. We just don't know. Lots of finger
> pointing! But nobody knows.

No, that's not true. There are plenty of reasons, all well documented.
One can speculate on which reason is the chicken and which is the egg,
but that doesn't mean there aren't already proven behavioral strategies
to solve the problem. They're all basically eat less, eat better, and
move more. We eat more, we eat poorer quality food, and we move less
than we used to.

-S-