Vox Humana

Default Proofing bread at home.

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Brian Macke" > wrote in message
> news
> > This is semantical, but remember that I'm speaking about the growth of
> > yeast. The best way (the ideal way) to grow yeast would be an

environment
> > at the "ideal temperature" for such growth. Rapid yeast growth does not
> > affect its quality. There is nothing lost intrinsic to the yeast to have
> > it grow faster. By extension, nothing is lost to have it grow at a

slower
> > temperature. This is why retarding yeast growth doesn't lead to an
> > inferior product - just takes longer.
> > -Brian James Macke
> > "In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that

> which
> > builds it." -- Unknown
> >

> I dunno. More rapid yeast growth is generally accomplished by warmer
> temperatures which if overdone can lead to some really nasty tasting and
> smelling bread. On the other hand, I am able to taste the difference
> between a retarded proof and a normal proof--there is increased

'sweetness'
> and nuttiness to the lean breads. There is no doubt that there is little

> be gained in a retail or commercial baking setting by retarding proof as

it
> is unlikely that you will be able to price up a loaf to reflect the lost
> production time. But in the home setting, a retarded proof produces a
> better flavored lean loaf.
> Janet

What seems to be missing from this discussion is the role of bacteria.
There are always two types of fermentation occurring in the dough: fungal
and bacterial fermentation. Yeast (fungus) reproduces well in a narrow
range of temperature (as someone already noted) producing mostly CO2 and
alcohol. Bacteria reproduce more slowly and can continue to reproduce and
metabolize at temperatures below the ideal temperatures for yeast. These
bacteria produce organic acids and esters that change the pH of the dough
and impart many complex flavors. Therefore, if you ferment the dough at a
high temperature that favors the yeast, you get few of the flavorful
compounds but you do achieve the doubling in size that is required for most
bread. When you ferment the dough at a low temperature, it takes much
longer for the yeast to produce enough CO2 for the dough to rise thus giving
the bacteria time to do their thing.