Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How often do you eat in a restaurant?

On 05/05/2013 2:22 PM, sf wrote:

> We ate in restaurants a lot back when I was working, but now that I'm
> retired and have more time to enjoy cooking (I like what I make) -
> it's only about once a week now. Usually, I have a recipe in mind
> that I want to try... but sometimes I run out of steam which is when
> hubby suggests dinner out. It's rarely my idea, it's usually his. I
> think it's very sweet when he notices things like that.

My wife and I both took early retirement, but we both got pensions that
paid 50% of old salaries. Knock off the expenses of going to work,
pension contributions (8% of gross), union dues, unemployment
insurance. and all the other work expenses... there was still a little
less disposable income. Going out for nice dinners was one of the first
things that went. It was an extravagance, but we could afford it.

These days... I look at those dinners and think of them as an incredible
indulgence. We now occasionally go out for ethnic dinners we aren't good
at doing ourselves and for an occasional greasy spoon cheap and easy
meal out.