Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Washing Chicken Prior To Cooking?

On 4/29/2013 8:55 AM, Gary wrote:
> sf wrote:
>>
>> Wake up and smell the coffee, Gary. Nobody is a friend on usenet.
>> Some of us have met in person or in the chat room, but most of us have
>> only developed online friendships which shouldn't ever be mistaken for
>> real life - although obviously some people do.

> Maybe not for you but I have some very close friends now that I met on
> usenet many years ago. I've also met a few in person and the friendship got
> better. 4 of us from one newsgroup started also writing personally....15
> years now and still going strong...we all write each day.
>
> That said though, friends are not black and white, they come in all levels
> of friendship from aquaintences that you talk to briefly occasionally up to
> best friends that hang out together often.

I don't know about "profound relationships" (to quote Sheldon), although
a few folks from RFC are couples who met online and married or are at
least significant partners. And yes, some of us have met in person. sf
herself mentioned cooking with ChrisD this past weekend. I met Chris
myself a number of years ago.

I talk on the phone with a few folks from RFC, but rarely. I'm not one
for talking on the phone every day or even every week. Yet when I was
hospitalized with diverticulitis, I called Nancy Young. She put the
word out to anyone who might care, Jill is in the hospital.

I consider Nancy to be one of my best friends, even though I've never
met her in person. I was taken by ambulance in my pajamas... she asked
if I needed anything. I sure could use some underwear. Guess what?
She sent me a package underwear! LOLOL Is that a friend or what?! We
still chuckle about it. She also sent me some books. So did Margaret
Suran.

All this to say of course, you can develop friendships online.

Jill