Janet Bostwick

Default Proofing bread at home.

"Brian Macke" > wrote in message
news
> This is semantical, but remember that I'm speaking about the growth of
> yeast. The best way (the ideal way) to grow yeast would be an environment
> at the "ideal temperature" for such growth. Rapid yeast growth does not
> affect its quality. There is nothing lost intrinsic to the yeast to have
> it grow faster. By extension, nothing is lost to have it grow at a slower
> temperature. This is why retarding yeast growth doesn't lead to an
> inferior product - just takes longer.
> -Brian James Macke
> "In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that
which
> builds it." -- Unknown

I dunno. More rapid yeast growth is generally accomplished by warmer
temperatures which if overdone can lead to some really nasty tasting and
smelling bread. On the other hand, I am able to taste the difference
between a retarded proof and a normal proof--there is increased 'sweetness'
and nuttiness to the lean breads. There is no doubt that there is little to
be gained in a retail or commercial baking setting by retarding proof as it
is unlikely that you will be able to price up a loaf to reflect the lost
production time. But in the home setting, a retarded proof produces a
better flavored lean loaf.
Janet