Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Chili Sauce

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 16:36:54 -0700 (PDT), Timo
> wrote:

> What do you use mace for? I use so little, I usually have none in the house. Will keep nutmeg around, but rarely use it either. Allspice is a Caribbean standard, and I use much more of it.

You're right about the allspice, I use it "just because" too.

Looking at my recipe file, I have quite a few that call for mace...
but most of them have been one time only or the "will do someday"
type. If you make sausage, it's one of the spices in
Nurnberg/Nuremberg Sausage.

Here are two recipes I made and portioned out as one of a collection
of spice mixes I made for family members one Christmas.

Beau Monde Seasoning Mix
By Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, About.com Guide

Makes: about 1/2 cup

Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon ground bay leaves
2 Tablespoons ground white pepper
2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon ground allspice
1 Tablespoon ground mace
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 Tablespoon ground cloves

Preparation:
Combine salt, bay leaves, white pepper, black pepper, nutmeg,
cinnamon, allspice, mace, celery seed, and cloves.

Pour into a glass jar and store in a cool, dark place.

Beau monde is a great seasoning mix for poultry, fish, beef,
vegetables, and sauces.

14 Spice Dry Rub Mix
http://www.theyummylife.com/dry_rub_mix#EmbedRecipe_69

Ingredients

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons cup salt (or reduce the amount)
1/4 cup paprika (sweet Hungarian)
1/4 cup smoked paprika (Spanish)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 tablespoon celery salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon rubbed dried sage
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Directions

Spread brown sugar out on a baking sheet for 1-2 hours so it can dry
out and avoid clumping. Combine all ingredients in a food processor
and pulse until well mixed. Or, sift the ingredients into a bowl and
whisk them until mixed.

Store in airtight container.

TO USE: Sprinkle dry rub mix on all sides of the meat (chicken, beef,
or pork) and rub it in. If you have time, wrap or cover the meat and
refrigerate it for 1 hour (or as long as 12 hours) before cooking. The
fridge time will enhance the flavor, but it's also good if you cook
the meat right away. Grill, pan fry, or bake the meat according to
your preference. Also good for seasoning meat in slow cooker.

VARIATIONS:
--For a spicier blend, use hot chili powder (rather than mild) and
more cayenne, cumin, black pepper.
--For a sweeter blend, increase the allspice, cloves, mace, and brown
sugar.
--For a smokier blend, omit the sweet paprika and substitute all
smoked paprika.