Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Deep Fried Cicadas?

I won't be looking for cicadas even if I *did* own a deep-fryer. But
the 17-year critters are returning again.

I read this in another blurb from Smithsonian mag:

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food...0414-Weekender

Tiny URL:

http://tinyurl.com/c45kgtp

"Think of them like “land shellfish.” Like shrimp, lobster and crabs,
cicadas are anthropods. Gaye L. Williams, an entomologist from the
Maryland Department of Agriculture told the Baltimore Sun: “They’re in
the same animal group as shrimp and crabs, and people don’t think twice
about that.” (If you’re allergic to shellfish, exercise caution when
experimenting with cicadas)."

Um, if I say "pass the cicadas" what I'll mean is "no thanks, I'll pass!"

Jill