Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sorta OT

On 4/12/2013 10:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> On 4/12/2013 10:16 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
>>> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
>>> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
>>> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
>>> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
>>> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
>>> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
>>> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
>>> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
>>> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help
>>> Thanks
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I had one dog who hated pills. We bought a chunk of liverwurst and
>> molded it around the capsule. The scent of the liverwurst overpowered
>> the pills and she never protested the liverwurst treat.

> Worth a try if it is as strong as you say, but my dog *always* knew,
> whatever I tried. I have to say thought I never had any of that.

The dog we used the liverwurst on was a challenge. She was so bad with
medicine that she hid on heartworm pill day as though she had read the
calendar in advance and knew what day it was. It was easier to medicate
a cat than it was this little Poodle dog. The liverwurst was the only
way we could get medicines into her.

We did switch to a topical heartworm medication and after a few months
we were able to find her on dosing day. :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas