Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_10_] Ophelia[_10_] is offline

Default Sorta OT

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:27:48 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
>>> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
>>> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
>>> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
>>> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
>>> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
>>> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
>>> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
>>> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
>>> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help

>>Just how big is this thing? I had to give my dog some big stuff and had
>>the same problems you have, certainly she wouldn't take them in any food
>>or
>>even treats ... so in the end, I held her mouth, popped in the capsule
>>right
>>at the back and rubbed her throat. She just swallowed it. If only I'd
>>known before how easy that was!!! Depends of course just how big that
>>thing
>>is. All I can say is, if that won't work, you could speak to your vet.
>>
>> Good luck, Janet.
>>--

> the capsule is an inch long and 3/8 of an inch wide; the dog is 80
> pounds and he can clamp his jaws d**n tight. No matter how far back I
> pop that capsule, it comes back out like magic.

Yes it takes some managing I must confess. We used to prise open her jaws,
(with great difficulty) pop it in and then hold her jaws tight shut. Oh
yes, she used to fight and it always takes two of you (more if you have them
available) ... If it won't work, you need to ask your vet what s/he would
do. Maybe he can give you something a wee bit easier to give him I wish
vets would take stuff like this into consideration!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

FoodBanter.com Database Error
Database Error Database error
The FoodBanter.com database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.foodbanter.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.foodbanter.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.