Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick Janet Bostwick is offline

Default I've had to change my rice proportions.

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 08:06:35 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 08:04:59 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> It is called Dirty Rice because the finely diced giblets 'dirty' the
>> whiteness of the rice. I wouldn't use anything but giblets because
>> then it wouldn't be Dirty Rice.

>There are so many different cooking times with giblets! Do you
>include meat from the neck? How do you get the gizzard soft enough to
>eat without an extended cooking time?

I would include the neck if I had it from the chicken. But generally
you can buy cartons of chicken livers and cartons of giblets
separately. The pressure cooker is my friend. Gizzard and heart go
into the PC, Liver is done lightly in butter. The juice from both is
added to the broth. I chop mine really fine because that is the way
that I have been served. Almost like the cooked texture size of
ground beef. You really can't tell what is gizzard, what is liver
when it is done this way. sf, you could see if you have a Popeye's
near you and try some there and see what you think.
Janet US