Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default LED light bulbs-a report.

On 3/27/2013 9:46 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 3/27/2013 6:07 AM, wrote:
>
>> i changed to CFLs (but then there is the question of mercury in the
>> disposal) but found i hated the way they distorted colours so switched
>> again to LEDs.

> I was wondering if anyone would mention the quality of light.
>
> My white LED Christmas tree lights are pretty to look at, but
> cast a rather ghastly grey glow. My LED book light washes out
> pencil writing (I use it for puzzles).
>
> I'm not switching until I know they've fixed that issue.
>
> nancy

I don't mind switching if the lighting is actually better somehow.
Energy efficiency is a good thing. But not if you have to pay out the
nose when one burns out.

And those twirly looking bulbs? They work fine for regular lamps. But
I'd have to buy a new desk lamp. The lampshade has two wires that
"grab" the round light bulb; that's what holds the shade in place rather
than a finial. Oh, sure they make them in a regular lightbulb shape.
But $16+ for one friggin light bulb? Ridiculous!

http://tinyurl.com/blm8azt

I'm not at all convinced LED's last longer, either. About 3 years ago I
replaced the overhead fluorescent light fixture in the kitchen. That
meant switching to the new LED tubes. Now it's not like I leave the
lights on in the kitchen for hours on end. But I've had to replace all
four bulbs twice over. Most recent was last fall and one of the LED
bulbs has already burned out. They may be more energy efficient but
they aren't very efficient on the pocketbook.

Jill