Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default how long do you need to cook soup to become soup?

Billy > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: My dietary restrictions are low carbs, low fat, and low salt. I try to
: keep my carbs down, but I gotta eat. I went low carb/high fat for
: several years, but 5 stents later, I'm trying to let my cardiologist
: prove her point. Having read Taubes, though, I have grave doubts.
: If I can get my cholesterol where my cardiologist wants it, then I'll
: pay more attention to the carbs. I'm trying to walk a tightrope, and I'm
: not very good at it. It's all going to end badly in any event.

Have you switched to lots of ground turkey in place of beef or other
ground meats, chicken breast(remove skin before eating, not cooking) lots
of fish of assorted kinds. use mon oils like olive oil, etc. Make you
own salad dressing with n salt but lots of herbs, etc, Try cottage cheese,
berries and some plain yogurt for breakfast. works for me. Switch to low
carb breads,pitas, tortillas, etc. they are available. Josephs, Aladdin,
Pepperidge Farm CarbStyle, etc. Josephs' has a website so you can get
them through there is your localstores don't or won't carry them. their
pitas are fine. toufayan alsohad low carb pita, which are better if
higher in calroies(not carbs, 4-5 for a large pita. Trader Jowes carrys a
low carb tortilla Mission also has some. I don't eat pasta. I use either
whole string beans(fresh, not frozen or canned) or spachetti squash. You
can dress them just like pasta adn much lower carbs. These are the only
breads I keep in the house. Also try ryevita and Was bread, two brands of
whole grain large crackersthat can sub for bread for many things(not
sandwiches, butopen topped stuff). If you can't use salt, use powdered
onion powder(NOT onion salt) to sprinkle at table, also use small
amounts of currypowder to give a lift to soup and other wet dishes that
salt does.

I hope some of this can hellp. these are all things I have tried adn they
work for me. I amno longer low salt with a bp of 117/70 but I stil
basically cook without it, like all steamed vegetalbes, stews, roasts,
etc. Only osup do I now use salt to cook, but only near the end of
cooking. None of this requires high fat or high meat. I used to make
meat soups so Ihad the meaty taste and only small amounts of meat in the
actual dish and made soup my main course.

Many of us hav been there. fortunately, my heart, etc seem to be in good
shape, but I don't fool around with them. I have read and sruggles with
reading Taubes and agree with much that he says, but I tend to cover
myself from all directions. Lower on red meat than formerly, make
bvegetarian main dises several nights a week. Of course, beign able now
to use salt makes it esier, but you can still do it.

Wendy!