Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another 1960's Casserole - fun!

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 21:29:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> Ever had a bad refrigerator that sometimes freezes things? I have.
>> Believe
>> me when I say there are some things that are not meant to be frozen.
>>

> My current one does that at the bottom of the vegetable bins, so I
> line it with things like bulk nuts and seeds, herbs, spices and ground
> chilies to insulate my vegetables.

The first one that we had when we lived on Staten Island was fine as far as
the temp went. But it was missing some parts in the freezer. I don't know
the name of the parts but there was no way for me to put food in the door
with the missing parts. They tried to order them but couldn't. So one day
they brought me a new one. New one was horrible.

It had these huge vents at the back. Repair just dropped it off, plugged it
in and left. Left me to assemble the shelves and such. So I read the
manual and that's when I learned about the vents. Said never to cover them
with food or the temperature would be off.

The problem? The floor in my apartment wasn't flat. I checked with the
people above me, the one on the top floor being a structural engineer and
they said there was no problem. But there sure was in mine. I once also had
water pouring into my living room. I had to move a lamp. And another time
it poured into my bathroom. And yet I was told there no pipes above either
of those places. They never did figure out what the deal was with the
bathroom. They blamed the living room thing on window vents.

But since the floor wasn't flat, the refrigerator angled backwards. I tried
moving it out more into the kitchen, away from the cabinets but that only
made it worse. Calls to repair only noted that indeed the floor wasn't
flat. They in no way attempted to level the fridge. Not sure if you can
level one.

So no matter how careful I was in placing the food in there, it always
eventually shifted towards the back, covering the vents. I would pull the
food forth daily and even resorted to buying little plastic bins and things
to try to retain the food. They even slid. And when the vents got covered,
the food froze!

I have asked around and never ran across anyone else that had this type of
fridge.