Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default how long do you need to cook soup to become soup?

Billy > wrote:
: > : >
: > : > I prefer to use a food processor for gazpacho as it chops rather than
: > : > liqufies and i like the textures. If I usee canned dices tomatoes i may
: > : > not even put them into the processor at all. Just a queston of what you
: > : > prefer. If you are on a low salt regimin I suggest that rather than use
: > : > tomato juice(even lower sat) that you use the a 6oz can of not salt
: > : > aded tomato paste, reconstituted with 2-3 cans of water. Many brans of
: > : > tomato paste are no salt, so just check your labels.
: > : >
: > : > Wendy
: >
: > : I use fresh tomatoes from the garden, with fresh peppers, and organic
: > : celery, and carrots, along with 1/2 - 1 cup of vinegar. It's alot like a
: > : stew. You look in the garden, and/or the refrigerator to see what you
: > : are going to use.
: >
: > I use both tomatoes and the reconstituted juice as that is what my
: > original recipe caled for and it gave , for me, the right amount of
: > tomato and liquid. this works with both fresh and canned tomatoes.
: > Beign willing to use the canned gives one a longer season, particualy up
: > north, when he ripe tomato seson is quite short adn the ones you can buy
: > in the stores are nt worth it, canned are better.
: >
: > Wendy.

: It sounds very reasonable, but, without trying to sound condescending, I
: only drink gazpacho during the summer. When the coolness, and the bite
: of the vinegar is refreshing. During the winter, like most people, I
: simply try to find the least insecticide ridden tomatoes that I can, and
: wait grudgingly for the next season. Otherwise, for sauces, and stews
: ect., I look for the cans of tomatoes that say no salt added.

: You can start your seeds anytime now. Some tomatoes are determinants
: that are only meant to be grown in pots (Glacier, Koralik, etc.). Then
: be sure to set out some basil plants. Basil, and tomatoes, are right in
: there with sweet corn as one of the delights of summer.

i summer intermitantly in the Northern Catskills of NY. It really is zone
4 on top of my hill. Last frost can be early June adn firsts frost can be
in early Sept, but is often later, say mid to late Sept. I no longer do
much gardeningfor assorted reasons, just 3 tomato plants in a large tub on
my deck and some flowers in boses to cheer the place up.

Local tomatoes don't show up until well into July from the garden markets
and the big farms are havign you pick'em end of season and canning
tomatoes right after labor Day. I love gazpacho and hate to limit it to
such a short season so make it once it is reasonably warm from the canned
tomatoes and do the same in the Fall. I used to start all kinds of thigs
from seed andin the early spring in NYC and bring them up in late May to
the Catskills and had variable success. Now, with no car and usin the bus
to get up ad down, this ha become impossible.

Wendy