Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Freides[_2_] Steve Freides[_2_] is offline

Default Alfredo makes my stomach sick

wrote:
> What is in Alfredo that makes my stomach sick?
>
> It gives me bad cramps and severe diarreah. I thought it was just the
> Alfredo spaghetti sauce. After having the same results from several
> different brands, I decided to no longer buy it, even though I'll miss
> it, because I've gotten real tired of tomato based spaghetti sauces.
> But as sick as my stomach gets, I quit buying it. A few days ago, a
> local pizza place had a special on slices. I grabbed a slice of their
> regular pepperoni, which I've had many times. They also had a new
> Alfredo cheese with 4 other cheeses pizza. One slice of that stuff,
> and I was sicker than I've gotten on the spag. sauce.
>
> From now on, if it says "Alfredo" on the label, I avoid it.
>
> But I am curoius what cause such extreme stomach flare-up from eating
> it. Being older, my stomach dont tolerate some foods as well as when
> I was young, but overall, I can eat most foods without too much
> trouble. At the same time, I am lactose intolarant to a certain
> degree. If I was to drink 20 oz of milk, I'd be sorry I did it, yet
> I can drink 4 oz and not have any significant problems. And I tend
> to eat quite a bit of cheese and cheese dont seem to bother me much
> at all. (referring to block cheeses such as colby, swiss, cheddar,
> etc and american cheese or that processed stuff.) I can eat cheese
> spread on crackers too, and not have a problem.
>
> Anyhow, there is something about Alfredo that seriously disagrees with
> me, apparently even in small amounts. I just wish I know what it was.
>
> What makes it different than other cheeses?

A couple of thoughts - first, you may have some sort of stomach bug that
limits your tolerance of rich foods. Alfredo sauce is quite rich.
We've had several instances of something like this in our family over
the years - you get a stomach bug, you get over it - you think - but all
of sudden, you seem to have a more sensitive stomach. The solution,
recommend by doctors to us, was to simply take it easy and eat carefully
for a few weeks or months, limiting any food which caused a problem and
introducing those foods gradually back into our diet but only after at
least a few weeks of no stomach problems.

Well, I'll stop there - stay away from Alfredo sauce and other rich
foods for at least a few weeks, introduce them back into your diet
gradually, and see where you are.

-S-