Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another 1960's Casserole - fun!

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> My maternal grandma was big into copper stuff. She had the Revereware
>> copper bottomed pans. She was very proud of them and polished the
>> bottoms
>> after every use.

> She had a lot of spare time then. I have and use the Revereware copper
> bottom cookware almost exclusively. I've got 3 frying pans (3 sizes), 6
> sauce pans (4 different sizes) and two larger pots...a 5qt and an 8qt.
> All
> with the interchangeable lids.
>
> I tried once to keep the copper bottoms clean. Yeah right! All of mine
> now
> have nicely seasoned black bottoms hiding that nifty copper.
>
> G.

My first set of pans was crap. Enamel but they matched my Corelle. Didn't
last any time at all. They chipped horribly. I replaced them with another
cheaper set of enamel. No lids came with this set and I think it was
something like $3.99 for the three pans. They did chip eventually but not
in the area where the food would touch while it was cooking. I did keep
those for a while after I got the Revere but mainly only used them for craft
projects and such.

I always get rid of any Revere frying pan that comes in the set. I did try
them but the food always stuck. I don't really fry much anyway so no
biggie. I did polish the bottoms weekly at first. Then monthly. Then my
friend said I could use ketchup on them. I did try it. It did work but
then I thought... Why am I doing this? And for the most part I stopped.
Once in a while I'd make a half assed attempt at polishing them.

I lost my most used 2 Qt. pan due to a freak accident with an old stove.
Heard a noise like a Piccolo Pete firework going off. Looked into the
kitchen to see blue sparks shooting from the stove. They charred a bit of
the ceiling but luckily no fire. Then an explosion! What happened was that
the outside tip of the electrical burner shot off and shot a hole clear
through the pan. I was boiling some pasta at the time. Water went
everywhere! What a mess! Landlord apologized to me and repaired the stove.
I was just lucky to have been in the other room when it happened!

Brother replaced the pan for me for my birthday but he bought me a double
boiler. It was actually just the same pan but with an insertable metal
bowl. I have never used it much as a double boiler but I do use the bowl
from time to time.

I had put my pans in the dishwasher and this made the handles go all dull.
And some of the handles got loose. So I decided to replace the set. But
for some reason the 2 Qt. was not included. So I had to buy that
separately. I did keep the old 2 Qt. and use it for making popcorn. I also
kept all of the lids. They changed the configuration if you will of the
pans now. So all of the lids do fit something. Just maybe not the same pan
they once fit.

Then I made the comment to my mom about all the extra lids that I had. She
just heard "lid" and thought that I needed lids. So she bought me this
horkingly huge universal pan lid. I've never used it.

I had a Rachael Ray pasta pot that I loved but parts of it began to show
signs of wear. I replaced it a few months ago. They have taken care of the
problems I had with it with a redesign. I also had a Circulon pan which I
loved but I think I destroyed it with pan spray. I replaced it and also got
another. Have a big skillet that daughter bought me as a present and also
an Orgreenic pan.

But mostly when I use the stove, I still use the old 2 Qt. I just made some
rice in it. I don't use the proper lid though. I got one of those Kuhn
Rikon things to prevent boil overs. I have a red one and just got a purple
one too. Size large. Really want an extra large as well but I think they
quit making that size. I use that pan so much that I just keep it on the
burner of the stove.